Please join City staff and Salem Main Streets for a discussion of draft regulations for the outdoor display or sale of merchandise downtown, especially with regards to the Pedestrian Mall.
The meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, April 30, 2019, 8:30 a.m. at the first floor meeting room, City Hall Annex, 98 Washington Street.
Draft regulations can currently be found online at https://www.salem.com/planning-and-community-development/pages/studies-and-reports.
Those unable to attend the meeting may submit their comments in writing to Kathryn Newhall-Smith at knewhallsmith@Salem.com.
Purpose: The purpose of these regulations is:
- To control for the sale and display of merchandise outside, but in close proximity, to a business with a traditional storefront within the downtown;
- To optimize the growth and income of retail businesses by allowing and encouraging the use of portions of the public right-of-way through an equitable review and permitting process;
- To enhance the visual appeal of the right-of-way through thoughtful consideration of materials, placement, and overall appearance of the outdoor vending facility;
- To ensure that there is safe, adequate passage along the entirety of the public right-of-way for public safety and emergency response vehicles and personal; and
- To provide safe, adequate access along the public right-of-way for persons of all abilities.