Welcome to Salem…a creative, business-friendly city, with a cool urban feel, booming tourist season, and most importantly, an active and invested local community. The information here highlights resources and partners that currently exist for new and existing businesses. For an in-depth introduction to the opportunities Salem has to offer, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 978-744-0004 x115 to schedule a meeting.
Continued revitalization of downtown Salem as a year-round retail, dining, and cultural destination through business retention, recruitment, and promotion of the downtown district.
- Primarily business-to-resident and direct business support
- Focuses on economic and community development specifically in the downtown
- Follows national Main Streets Four-Point approach – Economic Vitality, Design, Promotion, Organization
- Grants/sponsorship/donation structure
The Salem Chamber serves as the voice for member businesses, representing, advocating and working to enhance the business and civic environment.
- Primarily business-to-business (networking, promotion, etc.)
- Serves all of Salem, representing issues that impact business (legislation, policy, etc.)
- Membership structure
Destination Salem is the official destination marketing organization for the City of Salem.
- Primarily business-to-tourist, Salem’s advocate in tourism industry
- Produces Salem Guide/Haunted Happenings Guide/salem.org/hauntedhappenings.org
- Represents Salem in issues that impact tourism (travel, communication, etc.)
- Advertising structure
- Note: NPS Visitors Center now only carries Destination Salem guide and North of Boston guide
- Doing Business in Salem – guidance navigating city depts and requirements
- Small Business Financial Assistance
- Small Business Loan Program
- Storefront Improvement Program
- Commercial Design Guidelines
- Business training and seminars, many for free (also online!)
- Business plan competition
- Peer groups/tracks – CEO groups, Million Dollar Woman, Local Food Initiative
- North Shore Alliance for Economic Development – supports regional economy
- Small Business Development Center – one-on-one business advice
Creative Collective connects creativity, community, and commerce across the North Shore through events, traditional and non-traditional marketing initiatives, resources, and best practices to define why creativity matters in all aspects of life.
- Partners with many community organizations by providing promotional services
- Specializing in content creation and marketing for small creative economy businesses
- Creates network and opportunities for working artists and entrepreneurs
- Client and membership structure
Facilitates collaboration between businesses, non-profit organizations and government in projects related to the revitalization and restoration of the City of Salem and its general vicinity
- Addresses macroeconomic concerns throughout the city (“ports and courts”, education, transportation, etc.)
- Membership structure
Workforce development services that meet the needs of North Shore businesses and job seekers.