Pickering Wharf, home of the Salem Spice Trade, is about to get even spicier! You’re invited to attend “Fire and Spice”, a fundraiser event for the Salem Arts Festival, this Thursday, April 24, starting at 7:30 p.m. at Finz Seafood and Grill at 76 Wharf Street, Salem, MA 01970.
What is “Fire and Spice”?
“Fire and Spice” is a celebration of food, fashion, and fun, as well as a way to raise funds for the 6th annual Salem Arts Festival, and will include:
- Food provided by fantastic local restaurants – Finz Seafood and Grill, Howling Wolf Taqueria, The Lobster Shanty, The Ugly Mug Diner, Passage to India, and Melita Fiore
- Fashion with some of your favorite local retailers – J. Mode, Avalanche, re-find and re-find men’s, The Boutique, and Boston Bead Company
- Dancing with funk and R&B band The Ward Eights
- Silent auction with great packages and pieces from Salem and beyond
What is the Salem Arts Festival, and why is Salem Main Streets involved?
The Salem Arts Festival is a free, family-friendly festival held in downtown Salem on June 6 through June 8, including an art show, a street fair, live performances, and art-making activities. The Festival is actually a Salem Main Streets project, as it creates a destination event that attracts visitors and residents alike, celebrates the community of working artists and performers who call Salem home, and contributes to a sense of place in downtown Salem.
Why is this fundraiser so important?
We are working hard to make this year’s Arts Festival better than ever. We’re increasing the number of opportunities for the community to participate in art-making during the festival. We’ve committed to paying a stipend for all performers, which is something we’ve never been able to do in the past. We’re tackling our very first public art project – HulaArt. But we can’t take these exciting new steps without raising additional funds.
What’s with the “spice” theme?
For the first year, the Salem Arts Festival will have a central theme – and this year’s theme is SPICE! Why spice?
- Because Salem was the center of the Spice Trade for the better part of a century.
- Because the culinary scene in Salem is exploding.
- Because we think the Salem arts scene is just so spicy.
You’ve convinced me. How do I buy tickets?
Tickets are $25 and can be purchased in person at the Salem Chamber of Commerce offices at 265 Essex Street, by phone at 978-744-0004 x15 (Kylie Sullivan), or online by clicking the link below:
So glad you asked! Guests are encouraged to bring any “tired” or “expired” spices lurking in the cabinet to contribute to the Festival’s Spice Drive. These spices will be collected and reused for attendees to create unique pieces of art during the festival.
You don’t want to miss this special event, so grab your dancing shoes and help us make this year’s Salem Arts Festival the best yet!